Within four days I received the following reply to my letter requesting IVF cost, IVF success rates and IVF procedure information from Sandton Fertility Centre in South Africa. I have added the approximate costs in US$ in pink. Most of my questions have been answered directly although there is little detail on monitoring etc.
See my replies in red
Dr GH MOHAMED
- What is the current success rate for your clinic? (preferably by age as I know that the success rate will be much lower for somebody of my age)At your age it is less than 5%, it may be difficult to accept but your best option is Egg Donation
- How many cycles do you perform per year at the clinic?120 cycles
- What is the maximum age that you treat?41
- Are there any fertility conditions that you will not treat?
- What is your embryo transfer policy? How many embryos will you replace at one time?3 embryos but in egg donation 2
- What is the basic cost of the IVF treatment?Approx 30000 rands (approx. US$ 3,335)
- What additional costs would / could be incurred?Initial consultation 1000 rands (approx. US$110), blood tests 1000 (approx. US$110). These are approximate costs
- What happens to the costs if the cycle has to be abandoned?The cost is calculated propotionally
- How long would I need to be in South AfricaApproximately 3 weeks
- Who deals with the logistics of flights and accommodation?Yourself
- How is the pre-treatment carried out?
- How do I get medication?You can ourschase it from the pharmacy
- How will I be monitored?If u in SA we will monitor u
- How will I know that I am not being under / over stimulated?
- If I have a problem whilst in the UK who would I go to?
- Is the clinic registered with any regulatory body?In SA there is noregulatory body